Tuesday, you are serving me well so far! Here are a few reasons why:
- I am now featured on Feedspot’s Top 100 Chronic Illness Blogs on the Planet! I am really excited to share this space with other like minded individuals working to raise awareness about chronic illness and their journeys. Keep up all the amazing work, people.
- I finally got some needed sleep last night and feel clear headed, and remembered to finish this Liebster nomination post. Answering the questions was actually really fun and different from what I am usually doing on here!
- Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week is starting on Friday and I am working on some awesome content for that! Stay tuned.
I am super excited to have been nominated by Kelly, creator of Tiny Trips & Tips! She is a fun loving international traveler who has visited so many cities and documents all of her experiences and tips on each location in her blog. The blogging community is one that has allowed me to connect with so many amazing people, and Kelly is an awesome example of that.
What is the Liebster Award? It is a recognition award given to new bloggers by other bloggers. The structure of the Liebster Award goes like this: write 10 facts about yourself, answer the 10 questions that was asked by the Liebster Award “donor”, then nominate 5 other bloggers and write 10 questions for them to answer on their article. So let’s start!
10 Facts about Me
- I share a first and last name with my cousin, who is one of my best friends, making things very confusing. We are ten months apart in age and live about a ten minute walk away from one another, and go to many of the same doctors, hair stylists, etc. which has become pretty comical.
- I am a chronic mover. I’ve lived in three units in three years, all within the same building, and I have moved about 14 times since 2008.
- The only other language I am fluent in is legalese. My Spanglish is also pretty impressive.
- My dad likes to tell me that my dental work cost more than a Mercedes. Okay, I don’t know how factual this is, but I did have braces twice, headgear, expanders, etc., etc. … for a total of eight years. Saying I had an awkward phase is an understatement.
- On the afternoon of what was supposed to be my first date with Alex, I was at a job interview for a summer internship at a Neuroscience Institute. During the interview, I passed out, got six stitches in my chin, and broke four teeth which resulted in two root canals. Our first date was him making me soup.
- I have never been to Europe, but I have been to China twice.
- My dog Henry was found by a lovely group of men alligator hunting at lake Okeechobee in Florida. We are told he chased their car for miles before they stopped and picked him up and brought him to Tampa, where he eventually found us through Alex’s brother. I fully intend to write a children’s book about him and his story one day!
- I have been on a euchre strike since 2011.
- I have an unreasonable fear of cockroaches and the feel of pure cotton makes me incredibly sick.
- One of my main goals with this blog is finding an opportunity to assist in advocacy and legislative drafting for health care reform, because let’s face it, it’s not looking great.
10 Questions from Tiny Trips & Tips
- Who is your favorite blogger?
- I am not sure I have a favorite blogger, but one person I have followed for a number of years now and who has always been super open and raw with her emotions is Rachel Brathen, aka YogaGirl. I actually went to one of her workshops in San Diego in 2013 and it was great. I have been following her since and have always loved how honest and transparent she has been throughout her journey. I think it is incredible how humble and grounded she has stayed when she could have easily sold out early.
- What’s the best piece of blogging advice you received so far?
- When I first thought about starting a blog, I actually emailed Blair, the creator of The Fox and She and co-founder of Blogging 4 Keeps (which has been a great resource for new bloggers btw). After discovering her Instagram, I visited her blog and found that I had a lot in common with her, so I just decided to email her. I was shocked when she emailed me back a few hours later. I told her how I was nervous about sharing so much about my personal life with the public, but she reassured me that when she had recently shared some health issues she had dealt with on her blog, she found it not only rewarding, but was also surprised how receptive her audience was and how much feedback she got. She also let me know it is okay to have a niche area you are focusing on and that sometimes those can be much more successful than others that don’t have a particular focus.
- Who inspires you to travel?
- My boyfriend and travel partner, Alex. He is super adventurous and carefree and I envy his ability to just pick up and go. He has been to so many countries and it has enriched his life so much. Lucky for me, our most recent (and first, shockingly) international travel went well, so it looks he has a new travel buddy!
- Name your top 3 cities to visit in the world:
- Amalfi, Italy
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Name your top 3 countries to visit in the world:
- What is your favorite type of cuisine or dish?
- (Thai) Star of Siam’s Panang Nue and Gyoza is probably my favorite meal.
- What is your job/career currently?
- I am an attorney! My full time job is in corporate America, dealing predominantly with trusts, however, the clients I write for vary between criminal, family, personal injury, consumers rights and estate planning.
- What is your most prized possession?
- Our dog, Henry.
- What is your favorite post that you’ve written?
- I like all of them, haha, but I think my first post meant the most to me! Happy World IBD Day
- How did you pick your blog’s name?
- It took awhile! But since it revolves so much around the status of my health journey, I wanted to reference the ups and downs, aka the Peaks and Valleys of my life. It kind of fit me perfectly, because I have also always loved the outdoors and a good adventure. When I decided on it, I think I texted everyone I knew, I was so excited!
Nomination of 5 Bloggers
I chose to nominate 5 other Crohn’s/Colitis bloggers, because, well, it takes a lot of guts to share these experiences, not only as young people, but also as females. When I started my blog, one area I really wanted to focus on was connecting and building up those IBD warriors who live through this as well. And while I don’t know all of them personally, they have all made an impact on my Crohn’s blogging journey thus far!
Questions for Other Bloggers
- Why did you start your blog?
- What do you do to relax?
- Who is your biggest inspiration?
- If you are able to travel, what has been your favorite destination?
- What is your go-to Crohn’s friendly food?
- What is one thing you wish people knew about you?
- What is your biggest trigger?
- When do you find time to blog? Do you do it full time or part time?
- What is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
- What is the best advice you have ever received? (about blogging, life, or whatever you want)