Greetings! I am currently writing on this gloomy Tuesday from my bed, where Henry is more than content using me as a pillow. Yesterday I had high hopes of getting not only some writing done for a client, but also trying a new dessert recipe, cleaning and reading a little bit, but I ended up spending the majority of the evening between the couch and bed.
So, I decided to take a sick day today to catch up on sleep and life. Usually, I push myself through it, but my body was fighting me hard last night, so I listened. Self care, self care, self care. Don’t ruin your holiday. And while I didn’t get much done today in retrospect, I did make some homemade lentil soup!
Some friends recently recommended a Mediterranean Grocery to us, which we visited Sunday and picked up some ingredients for our Mediterranean themed dinner tomorrow like pita, ingredients for homemade hummus, labna, dates, lentils, etc. I am sooo excited! I haven’t experimented much with lentils, but taking a shot in the dark with this soup, I’m looking forward to trying some other dishes in the future! If you are looking for a last minute addition to your menu, this recipe packs flavor and protein for the win.
I hope your Thanksgiving holiday is off to a great start! & if it’s not, don’t worry, there is still time 🙂
[ Last Minute Lentil Soup ]
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp of cumin
- 1/2 tbsp of paprika
- 1 onion minced
- 4 ribs of celery
- 1 cup of matchstick carrots
- 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 1 cup of water
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- parmesan cheese
- In one pan, cook ground chicken, or sausage or turkey.
- In another pan, cook onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add celery and carrots and sautéed for another 5 minutes. Add lentils, broth, water, paprika, cumin, and ginger. Bring to boil for 5 minutes.
- Reduce to low heat and let cook for 45 minutes.
- In the last five minutes, add in the ground chicken and mix in.
- Top with parsley. While I know that parmesan is not part of a traditional lentil soup, I really liked it on there!